These oven baked calamari rings are the perfect alternative to their famous fried version. Oven baked calamari are delicious and crunchy like the fried ones but healthier and lighter. The lemon marinade gives the calamari a fresh flavour and the aromatic breadcrumb mix makes them so tasty and crispy.
Easy and quick to prepare this calamari recipe is perfect if you are on a diet but want to eat something healthy but yummy. Squids are rich in protein so good for building muscle. They are high in omega-3 but low in saturated fat . They also contain vitamins, like vitamin B-12 and iron, potassium and phosphorus. 100 grams of calamari only contain 70 calories. So, if you prepare them using this recipe you will have a scrumptious but light meal, perfect for a low-calorie diet.
Oven baked calamari rings
- squid rings, frozen: 300 grams
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated: 50 grams
- fine breadcrumbs: 2 tbsp
- lemon , big and organic: 1
- garlic: 1 clove
- thyme to taste
- salt as needed
- extra virgin olive oil as needed
- pepper to taste
- Zest the lemon and squeeze it. Put the squid rings into a bowl with the zest, the lemon juice and some ground pepper. Mix well, cover and set in the fridge for half an hour.
- Put Parmesan, breadcrumbs, garlic, a sprinkle of salt and some fresh thyme into a food processor. Process until you have a fine mixture.
- Drain the calamari and discard the lemon juice. Spread them on lightly oiled* oven proof shallow dish, sprinkle with the aromatic mixture and drizzle with some oil.
- Cook into the preheated oven to 180°C for about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
* for a healthier version don't oil the dish, line it with parchment paper so the calamari won't stick to the bottom of the dish.