This salad could be described more as a main dish because there are carbohydrates, proteins and good fats that make it a complete and balanced meal. It’s also pretty healthy because full of good ingredients like the avocado and the pecan nuts. I prepared it yesterday for lunch and I really enjoyed it!
I loved the sweetness of the peppers, the barley’s texture and the sour flavour of the pomegranate. The turkey marinated with lemon juice and honey is so delicious and the Greek yogurt dressing softens the sweetness of the peppers. I really love this kind of dish because it’s satisfying and healthy at the same time!
Sweet pepper, avocado, pomegranate and marinated turkey salad
- sweet pointed peppers: 2
- turkey breast steaks (about 150 grams each): 2
- lamb lettuce: 150 grams
- spelt (or pearl barley): 100 grams
- avocado (big): 1
- pecan nuts: 10
- pomegranate: 1
- greek style yogurt: 100 grams
- extra virgin olive oil (as needed)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- lemons (the juice): 2
- honey: 1 tbsp
- mint (fresh small leaves, finely chopped): about 10
- Put the lemon juice, the honey, 1 tbsp of oil, a pinch of salt and pepper in a shallow dish, whisk well and add the turkey steaks, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cook the barley in salted boiling water for 40 minutes (or for the time suggested on the package), drain, mix with a little bit of oil and let it cool down.
- Put the peppers in a tray lined with parchment paper and cook into the preheated oven at 220°C until the skin is a little bit burned. Take out of the oven, transfer into a dish and cover straight away with cling film. Let them cool down then remove the skin and the seeds and cut them in little pieces.
- Cook the turkey steaks in a pan with a little bit of oil until golden and crisp, cut into slices and start to assemble the salad: open the avocado, remove the stone and cut the flesh into cubes; mix the cooked barley with the lamb lettuce, add the avocado, the pepper slices and the turkey, season with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper.