This chocolate and yogurt no-butter cake with cocoa and yogurt frosting is an easy but delicious cake. It’s moist and soft, it literally melts in your mouth. The yogurt frosting is not too sweet, made just using yogurt, cocoa powder and maple syrup, it’s super shiny, creamy and almost guilt free. I also sprinkled some Maldon flakes on the cake top to give a little salty touch.
If you find the frosting too bitter you can adjust the maple syrup quantity to your taste.
Chocolate and yogurt no-butter cake with cocoa and yogurt frosting
- For the cake batter
- plain flour: 200 grams
- cocoa powder: 50 grams
- baking powder: 16 grams
- caster sugar: 150 grams
- medium eggs , at room temperature: 3
- natural yogurt , at room temperature: 125 grams
- dark chocolate , melted: 70 grams
- sunflower oil: 90 grams
- For the frosting
- natural yogurt or Greek style yogurt: 100 grams
- cocoa powder , sifted: 30 grams
- maple syrup: 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line with parchment paper a 20 cm round cake tin.
- Sift the flour with the cocoa powder and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat the eggs with the sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed and slowly add the oil, then the yogurt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the mix of flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and mix until you have a smooth and lump free batter.
- Turn of the mixer and add the melted chocolate. Fold it using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and bake into the preheated oven (180°C) for about 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once baked let the cake cool down into the tin then transfer onto a plate and cover using the frosting.
- Put yogurt and cocoa powder into a bowl andmix using a spatula until you have a smooth mixture.
- Ad the maple syrup and mix to have a shiny and smooth frosting.
- Use the frosting to cover the top of the cake