The strawberry lattice pie is the perfect dessert for summer. A crunchy pie crust filled with sweet and juicy strawberries. It’s so easy to make but super yummy. The top of this strawberry pie is decorated with a beautiful pastry lattice that gives the cake and elegant look.
Making this pie is very simple, you just have to follow some rules:
- First of all the pie crust needs to be thick enough, about 4 mm. This is important to avoid having a soggy pie.
- Remember to drain the strawberry filling and add the cornstarch to absorb the fruit juices and to give the filling a nice texture.
- Let the cake rest in the freezer for 20 minutes before baking: this will make the crust super crunchy and flaky.
- Put a pan with parchment paper underneath the pie dish because the filling tends to spill out while baking and it could stick to the bottom of your oven.
- Last but not least, let the pie cool down completely before slicing it, possibly let it rest in the fridge over night.
If you follow these easy tips your strawberry pie will be beautiful and perfect.
Serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry lattice pie
- For the pie crust
- plain flour: 500 grams
- unsalted butter cold cut into cubes: 250 grams
- salt: 4 grams
- caster sugar: 2 tbsp
- water cold with ice cubes: 140 grams
- For the filling
- strawberries hulled and sliced in half: 800 grams
- dark muscovado sugar: 30 grams
- caster sugar: 100 grams
- cornstarch sifted: 3 tbsp
- lemon , the filtered juice: 1/2
- Egg wash
- egg: 1
- milk: 2 tbsp
- demerara sugar
- Firstly prepare the dough. Put flour, salt, sugar and cold butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumb. Slowly add the water, little by little, pulsing until the dough comes together. If too dry add a little bit of water. Transfer the dough on a floured surface and knead it a little until smooth then wrap it and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Put the cut strawberries in a big bowl with the lemon juice, caster and Muscovado sugar. Mix well, cover and set aside.
- Grease a 20 cm round pie pan. On a lightly floured surface roll out half of the pie crust 4 cm thick and use it to line the pan, leaving a 4 cm border. Put into the fridge.
- Roll out the second half of the dough 3 mm thick. Using a pizza wheel cut out strips 1 cm wide and 25 cm long (or long enough to cover the pie pan). Place the strips on tray lined with parchment paper and set in the fridge.
- Drain the strawberries reserving the juice (you can use it for lemonades or cocktails), add the cornstarch and mix well. Transfer the strawberries into the pie dish.
- Take the strips out of the fridge and arrange them onto the pie filling waving them like a basket.
- Cut the dough excess with a pair of scissors or a sharp knife and pinch the edges between thumb and index to form a nice border.
- Rest the pie in the freezer for 20 minutes. Mix the egg with milk and brush it onto the pie. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake in the preheated oven to 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until the top starts to go golden, then reduce the heat to 180°C and bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown.