This homemade courgette pesto is the perfect sauce for pasta and salads.This recipe is so easy and quick, a few ingredients for a healthy alternative to the classic pesto. Crunchy courgettes, fresh mint and basil, good extra virgin olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Chuck everything in a blender, pulse and it’s done!
I prefer to stir fry the courgettes on high heat for a couple of minutes for a bit more flavour but, if you want, use raw or boiled courgettes. If you decide to go for the raw version just remember to use only the green part of the courgettes, the inner part is rich in water and it will make your pesto soggy.
This courgette, mint and almond pesto is perfect for pasta salads, as I said, but it’s delicious with boiled potatoes or as a topping for soups, fish and even on pizza! I like to spread it on slices of toasted bread for a yummy aperitif, topped with mozzarella, olives or cherry tomatoes.
Pesto is best eaten as soon as you make it, but you can also freeze it in small portions to use when you need it.
Courgette, mint and almond pesto
- courgettes cut into small dices: 350 grams
- extra virgin olive oil: 90 grams
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated: 70 grams
- almonds peeled: 60 grams
- garlic peeled: 1 clove
- extra virgin olive oil: 1 tbsp
- fresh mint: 20 leaves
- fresh basil: 10 leaves
- Heat a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and stir fry the courgettes for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often and keeping them crunchy. Season with salt and pepper and let cool down.
- Put the courgettes, garlic, almonds, mint and basil in a blender and pulse while slowly pouring in the olive oil.
- Pulse for another 30 seconds or until everything is thoroughly combined. Pulse more for a creamer pesto, I like mine crunchy so I do not blend it a lot.