The buckwheat cake with jam is a delicious and beautiful dessert. It’s gluten free because made using buckwheat flour that does not contain gluten. The batter is prepared with sunflower oil and no butter so it’s dairy free too. I filled the cake with jam and vegan double cream to keep it dairy free, but you can use regular double cream if you are not lactose intolerant.
The buckwheat cake has a lovely light texture thanks to the oil. I added a tablespoon of cocoa powder to enhance the cake colour and a little ground cardamon that gives a fantastic aroma. The original Italian buckwheat cake is made with butter and filled only with lingonberry jam, then dusted with icing sugar. But, because I’m not baking a lot of cakes recently, this time I decided to decorate it. I used some fresh nectarines, apricots, double cream and fresh mint. Finding lingonberry jam in UK is not really easy so you can use strawberry or raspberry jam. If you don’t want to make a tiered cake you can bake it in a 20-22 cm tin to have a classic 2 layer cake and fill it only with jam.
Buckwheat cake with strawberry jam
- buckwheat flour: 210 grams
- medium eggs: 4
- caster sugar: 210 grams
- sunflower oil: 200 grams
- baking powder: 2 tsp
- cocoa powder: 1 tbsp
- ground cardamom: 1 tsp
- jam strawberry, raspberry or lingonberry
- double cream whipped with sugar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/160°C fan.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and cardamom.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar on high speed until pale and fluffly.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture a tablespoon at a time slowly pouring the oil. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter into two greased 15 cm round cake tins with the bottom lined with parchment paper and bake into the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Slice each cake in half to have 4 layers. Place one of the cake layers on to a cake stand and spread with jam. Lay a second layer of cake on top and spread with double cream. Add another cake layer, spread with jam and top with the last layer.
- Spread the top with double cream and decorate with fresh fruit.