The carrot,chickpeas, spinach and ginger soup with rice is a healthy and comforting dish. Rich of good ingredients this soup is quick and easy to prepare. The carrot soup is very versatile: you can swap the carrots with sweet potatoes and the chickpeas with beans. If you don’t like/have rice you can use pearl barley, spelt or short pasta. It’s also a budget friendly recipe because all the ingredients are very cheap. Furthermore, using canned chickpeas and frozen spinach save you lots of time: you simply have to add them at the end of the cooking time, easy peasy.
Carrot, chickpeas, spinach and ginger soup with rice
- onion finely chopped: 1
- fresh ginger* , peeled and grated: 2 centimeter
- carrots , about 4, diced: 300 grams
- risotto rice: 100 grams
- chickpeas , about a can drained: 250 grams
- frozen spinach , about 4 cubes: 150 grams
- sun dried tomato purèe** , : 1 tbsp
- boiling water: 2 liters
- salt , to taste
- extra virgin olive oil: 1 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated to serve
- Heat a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a big pan, add the chopped onion and the ginger and sautè for a couple of minutes.
- Add the diced carrots and cook on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the boiling water making sure to cover the vegetables. Add the tomato purèe and season with salt. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Then add the rice and continue to cook for 20minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Five minutes before the end add the chickpeas and the frozen spinach, stir well and finish to cook.
- Serve hot with some grated Parmesan cheese.