These mashed potato timbales are a very easy and tasty starter. Crunchy outside with a centre of mushrooms and melted mozzarella. Perfect for lunches or parties.
Preparining them is very simple. They are made with a mixture of mashed potatoes, butter, Parmesan cheese and eggs, pressed into muffin tins and filled with stir fried mushrooms and gooey mozzarella.
If you don’t like mushrooms swap them with other veggies like spinach, peppers or aubergines. You can also add pieces of bacon or smaked salmon for a tastier version. These potato timbales are so versatile and you can basically fill them with whatever you like. They are perfect served with Sunday roast or sausages.
Mashed potato timbales with mushroom and mozzarella centre
- baking potatoes: 1 kg
- Parmesan cheese , freshly grated: 100 grams
- unsalted butter , diced: 60 grams
- medium eggs: 2
- fine breadcrumbs , as needed
- mushrooms , sliced: 500 grams
- garlic , grated: 1 clove
- fresh parsley , few sprigs finely chopped
- mozzarella , diced: 2
- fine salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- ground nutmeg , to taste
- extra virgin olive oil , as needed
- Put the potatoes with a tablespoon of coarse salt in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Peel the potatoes and mash them when still hot. Add the butter and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg to taste.
- Crack in the eggs and mix again using a rubber spatula until you have a smooth and lump free puree. Cover and set aside.
- Heat about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan, add the garlic and the mushrooms. Cook on high heat until all the water inside the mushrooms evaporates. Add the chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease with butter 12 small muffin tins (I used the disposable ones) and evenly coat the inside with breadcrumbs.
- Fill the tins with the potato mixture covering well the bottom and then walls of the tins. Create a hollow in the centre using a teaspoon.
- Fill the hole with some cooked mushrooms and a mozzarella dice.
- Cover with a little potato mixture pressing gently and smoothing the top.
- Bake into the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until the edges of the timbales are lightly browned. Let them cool down 10 minutes then invert on a plate and serve.