Spelt salad with courgette, shrimps and cherry tomatoes is healthy and light dish. It’s the perfect lunch idea for warm summer days. Quick and easy to prepare, this salad is so light and fresh. Only 4 ingredients: spelt, but you can use barley too, courgette, frozen shrimps and cherry tomatoes. All dressed with a light citronette.
You can easily swap or add ingredients in this recipe. Instead of spelt you can use pearl barley or giant cous cous. You can use fresh prawns, if you prefer and add some beans too. I love cannellini beans for example. To dress the salad, in addition to the citronette you can prepare a light yogurt dressing. Just mix together 150 grams of Greek style yogurt, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, a clove of garlic finely chopped and some chopped mint leaves. This dressing will add a lot of flavour to your salad.
Spelt salad with courgette, shrimps and cherry tomatoes
- dry spelt or pearl barley: 400 grams
- frozen shrimps: 350 grams
- courgette , cubed: 300 grams
- cherry tomatoes , quartered or halved: 150 grams
- garlic: 1 clove
- salt , as needed
- pepper , to taste
- fresh basil
- extra virgin olive oil: 4 tbsp
- lemon: 1
- Cook the spelt following the instruction on the pack. It could takes between 10 to 40 minutes, it depends on the type of spelt you buy. (I cooked mine in salted boiling water for 10 minutes.) Once cooked drain it and let i cool down.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan, add the garlic (whole or chopped, as you prefer) and the cubed courgette and stir fry on high heat for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper at the end to keep the veggies crunchy.
- Cook the shrimps in boiling water (NO SALT) for 2-3 minutes, drain and let cool down.
- Put spelt, cherry tomatoes, courgette and shrimps in a big bowl and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowlmix the juice of the lemon (filtered), 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and use to dress the salad. Garnish with chopped fresh basil leaves.