Strawberries and clotted cream is always a good idea, but add some chocolate and you will have the perfect combination!
I baked these little cakes to use some of the Easter eggs chocolate and now I think love them more then the traditional strawberry shortcakes!
- plain flour: 325 grams
- cocoa powder: 35 grams
- unsalted butter cubed: 100 grams
- whole milk lukewarm: 100 milliltres
- baking powder: 4 tsp
- caster sugar: 100 grams
- medium eggs slightly beaten: 2
- dark chocolate roughly chopped: 100 grams
- clotted cream: 500 grams
- caster sugar: 4/5 tbsp
- strawberries: 10
- strawberry jam (to taste)
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, butter, and sugar into a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour the eggs and slowly the milk, pulse again to combine then add the chocolate.Transfer on the floured worktop and knead quickly to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough 2,5/3 cm thick. Using a round cookie cutter (about 6 cm) cut 14 disks.Put them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.Brush every cake with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake into the preheated oven at 190/200°C for 15 minutes until firm.
- In the meanwhile mix the clotted cream with the sugar.Split the cold cakes in half and fill them with the clotted cream and a little of strawberry jam. Decorate the top with clotted cream and some strawberry slices.