These cheese and courgette muffins are perfect for parties and picnics. They have a delicate mint flavour and the Parmesan cheese makes them super moist and creamy.
The recipe is pretty easy. You just need a bowl to whisk the ingredients together or, if you prefer, you can put everything but the courgettes into a food processor and blend until you have a smooth batter. Then you add the cooked courgette and mix with a spatula or a balloon wisk.
The cheese and courgette muffins are great to eat as a snack or served with a board of cheese and cured meat. You can swap the courgettes with other veggies, following the seasons. During winter you can use artichokes or mushrooms, in spring time peas and broad beans and during summer courgettes, aubergines or bell peppers. You can also add other ingredients ham or pancetta cubes or small pieces of mature cheddar.
Cheese and courgette savoury muffins
- plain flour: 200 grams
- baking powder: 15 grams
- corgettes , ends trimmed: 200 grams
- sunflower oil: 100 grams
- milk: 100 grams
- Parmesan cheese , freshly grated: 120 grams
- medium eggs , at room temperature: 4
- medium spring onion , finely sliced: 1
- fresh mint , chopped: 5 leaves
- extra virgin olive oil , as needed
- sea salt , to taste
- ground pepper , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line 14 muffin moulds with paper cases.
- Cut the courgettes into small dices (about 1 cm each). Melt the butter with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan. Add the sliced spring onion and the diced courgette. Stir fry for a couple of minutes, until cooked but still crunchy. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool down.
- Put the eggs with milk and sunflower oil in a big bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Add the flour sifted with the baking powder and mix until you have a smooth and lump free batter.
- Fold in the Parmesan cheese and the chopped mint. Mix until well combined.
- Add the cooked courgette, mix well again.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined moulds and bake into the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.