I love peaches, I eat tons of them during summer in fruit salads, with yogurt for breakfast and I often use them for baking.
Last week I prepared this simple peach cake using a recipe that normally I use for baking breakfast cakes. This time I added some nectarines and amaretto biscuits and the result is a light and airy cake perfect with tea or latte, delicious served with vanilla ice cream after a meal.
Peach and amaretto cake
- plain flour: 125 grams
- corn flour or potato starch: 125 grams
- caster sugar: 250 grams
- medium eggs: 3
- nectarines: 600 grams
- sunflower oil: 100 millilitres
- milk: 100 millilitres
- amaretti biscuits: 60 grams
- amaretto liqueur: 4 tbsp
- freshly grated lemon zest
- baking powder: 15 grams
- Slice 2 peaches into 5 mm slices and cut the others into 1,5 cm dices. Put the diced peaches in a bowl with the liqueur for half an hour in the fridge.
- Sift the flour with baking powder and corn flour (or potato starch if you are using it)
- Using an electric mixer beat the eggs with the sugar until you have a pale and fluffy mixture then add the lemon zest and the sifted flour. Mix at low speeduntil well combined
- Slowly pour in the oil and then the milk while mixing.
- Crumble the amaretti (reserve some for the decoration) and fold them into the mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Add also the diced peaches, getting rid of the liqueur.
- Pour the batter into a 20 cm cake pan lined with baking parchment, decorate the top with the slices of peach and some crumbled amaretto.Bake in the preheated oven at 170 °C for about 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.