The lasagna is one of the most famous Italian dishes. The classic recipe is called “Lasagna alla bolognese” and it’s made with layers of pasta sheets, ragù and Parmesan cheese. There are lots of different versions, every Italian region has its own recipe, and every family prepare it using different ingredients depending on their taste.
This time I decided to make a vegetarian recipe using the ingredients I had in my pantry. So I prepared a ricotta and sweet potato lasagna with pieces of Brie. It came out so delicious and creamy!
The recipe is very easy and quick to prepare. The ricotta and sweet potato lasagna is a good vegetarian alternative to the classic lasagna, you can prepare it in advance and freeze it. I used the Brie because I had it in my fridge but you can use any other strong flavoured cheese like Camembert or Gorgonzola. If you don’t have sweet potatoes you can easily swap them with butternut squash or baking potatoes. The beautiful thing of Lasagne is that, like for any other pasta bake (like paccheri), you can use always different ingredients based on what you have in the fridge or pantry.
Ricotta and sweet potato lasagne
- dry lasagna sheets: 500 grams
- ricotta drained: 750 grams
- Parmesan cheese ,freshly grated: 200 grams
- Brie cut into pieces: 250 grams
- sweet potatoes: 1 kilo
- extra virgin olive oil , asneeded
- butter , as needed
- salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- nutmeg , freshly grated to taste
- fresh thyme , few sprigs
- Pre-boil the lasagna sheets, 3-4 at time, in salted boiling water with a splash of oil (the oil prevents the sheets from sticking to each others). Drain and lay them on a clean tea towel. Cover and set aside.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them lengthwise into slices approximately 5 mm thick. Blanch them in salted boiling water for about 5 minutes or until soft but still holding their shape. Drain and season with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme to taste.
- Put the ricotta, drained, in a big bowl with 4 tablespoons of Parmesan, salt, pepper and some grated nutmeg. Mix well with a balloon whisk until smooth.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan/160°C. Lightly oil an ovenproof dish (about 30x25 cm), spread a spoon of ricotta mixture on the bottom and cover with some lasagna sheets. Spread the sheets with ricotta.
- Lay down some sliced potatoes.
- Add some Parmesan and some pieces of Brie.
- Repeat until you have at least 3-4 layers.Cover the last sheet layer with some potatoes, abundant Parmesan and Brie, and add few pieces of butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until bubbling and golden.