In Italy when you get home late and you don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking, a frittata is always the perfect compromise: quick, easy and cheap. You only need eggs, salt and pepper and it’s done…but just adding a few ingredients it could become a very tasty dish, perfect for a party, for a picnic or, why not, to pack your lunch box with something different from the same old salad. This time I prepared a frittata roll stuffed with mozzarella, smoked cheese and sundried tomatoes.
Stuffed frittata roll
- fresh spinach: 300 grams
- large eggs: 8
- mozzarella: 200 grams
- smoked cheese: 100 grams
- sundried tomatoes: 4
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese: 2 tbsp
- salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
- a clove of garlic
- Bring to boil a big pot of water, add 2 tbsp of coarse salt and cook the spinach for 4/5 minutes.Drain and squeeze it well to discard the water then stir fry in a pan with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and the clove of garlic for about 5 minutes.Bring to boil a big pot of water, add 2 tbsp of coarse salt and cook the spinach for 4/5 minutes.Drain and squeeze them well to discard the water then stir fry them in a pan with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and the clove of garlic for about 5 minutes.Let cool down then squeeze again and chop finely. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl with the Parmesan cheese and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Add the chopped spinach and whisk well. Grease a 35x25 cm baking tray with oil, line with parchment paper and grease also the paper with oil.Pour the egg mixture into the tray and spread it evenly shaking the tray.
- Bake for 8 minutes into the preheated oven at 200°. Let it cool down a bit but don't turn off the oven.
- Chop the mozzarella, the smoked cheese and the sundried tomatoes together and spread them on top of the frittata, roll it tightly using the parchment paper and put it again into the oven for about 3/5 minutes until the cheese will melt. Let it cool down completely then cut into thick slices, about 3 cm and serve.