The piadina is a typical flatbread of the Romagna region but today is famous all over the world as a tasty street food.
It’s easy to prepare at home and, trust me, it’s delicious! Perfect with savoury fillings but also with sweet ones, for example with Nutella… You can eat it warm, straight from the griddle but also cold it’s absolutely fantastic!
- For the dough
- pasta flour grade "00": 500 grams
- lard ( or 80 grams extravirgin olive oil): 100 grams
- water: 180 grams
- fine salt: 2 tsp
- bicarbonate of soda: 2 tsp
- For the filling
- aubergines: 2
- wild rocket: 200 grams
- chevre cheese: 125 grams
- baby plum tomatoes: 200 grams
- tuna chunks in oil: 200 grams
- Green olives pitted: 50 grams
- almonds toasted : 50 grams
- cloves of garlic sliced: 2
- extra virgin olive oil (as needed)
- mayonnaise: 2 tbsp
- salt (to taste)
- ground pepper (to taste)
- Cut the aubergines into 1 cm thick slices. Put them in a colander over a bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave them for 30 minutes to get rid ot their bitter flavour. Then wash quickly, arrange on a tray lined with baking parchment, season with oil, salt, pepper and the sliced garlic and cook until golden at 200°C.
- Put all the dough ingredients (except the water) in a big bowl and start mixing with your hand adding the water slowly. Once everything is well combined transfer on a floured surface and knead to form a ball. Wrap with cling film and set aside for an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the tuna mousse: put in a food processor the tuna chunks, well drained, olives, almonds, mayo and process until all the ingredients are finely chopped, but not completely pureed, you should have a crunchy texture.
- After the resting time knead the dough to form a roll, cut it into 10 pieces and roll them into smooth balls. Heat a griddle, roll out each ball into adisc roughly 20 cm in diameter ( 2 mm thick).Cook the piadina over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly golden but still pliable, pricking any bubbles that appear with a fork.
- Fill each piadina spreading some tuna mousse and arranging the aubergine slices, the sliced cheese, some rocket leaves and the tomatoes cut in half.