The pide, also called Turkish pizza, is a soft flat bread filled usually with meat, cheese or vegetables.
This is my vegetarian version with aubergine, tomatoes and red onion: a tasty alternative to the normal Italian pizza!
- For the dough
- plain flour: 500 grams
- eggs: 1
- salt: 10 grams
- caster sugar: 10 grams
- extra virgin olive oil: 50 grams
- water at room temperature: 250/260 grams
- fresh yeast: 7 grams
- For the filling
- big aubergines: 2
- vine tomatoes: 4
- sun dried tomatoes in oil cut into small pieces: 4
- red onion: 1
- extra vergin olive oil (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- fresh parsley (some leaves)
- The evening before prepare the dough at about 6 pm: put the flour, oil and sugar in the mixing bowl with the hook attachment and start mixing. Add the egg and the salt and knead a little; start adding slowly the water and all the yeast, continue to knead until you finish the water and you have a soft and elastic dough. Transfer it on a floured surface and form a ball. Put it into a big bowl greased with oil, cover and set into the fridge overnight.
- The morning after slice the aubergines and grill them. Season with oil, salt and pepper.Cut the tomatoes into slices and season with salt and oil.Slice thinly the onion and set everything aside.
- At about 11 am take the dough out of the fridge and leave it at room temperature for half an hour, then divide it into 4 pieces and roll them into balls.Roll out a ball into an oval shape 3 mm thick on a piece of parchment paper and transfer it onto a baking tray. Arrange on top of it the sun dried tomatoes and the sliced fresh tomatoes leaving a border of about 1,5 cm.
- Add also the sliced aubergine on the tomatoes.
- Fold the border over the filling and crimp the edges on the sides.Repeat for all the remaining dough pieces.
- Brush with oil and bake into the preheated oven at 200 ºC until golden.Serve with the sliced onion and some cut parsley
*or 3 grams dried yeast