This creamy courgette and lemon risotto is a tasty and super easy vegetarian dish. Perfect for using the first courgettes in season.
Creamy courgette and lemon risotto
- risotto rice , arborio or carnaroli: 320 grams
- courgettes , diced: 400 grams
- garlic: 1 clove
- onion , finely chopped: 1
- vegetable stock: 1 litre
- white wine: 100 grams
- Parmesan cheese , freshly grated: 80 grams
- unsalted butter: 70 grams
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil as needed
- lemon: 1
- fresh basil leaves, washed : 6
- Heat about 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a pan with the garlic.
- Add the diced courgette and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until soft.
- Transfer the cooked courgette into a blender with the basil leaves and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Melt 20 grams of butter with a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a big heavy-bottomed pan. Add the chopped onion and cook on medium heat until softened.
- Stir in the rice, increase the heat and let it coat in the butter and onion mix stirring constantly until the rice becomes translucent. Then pour the wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and start adding the hot stock (keep the pan with stock in a pan on medium heat simmering) one ladleful at a time until almost all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir often to avoid the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan and keep adding the stock.
- Three or four minutes before the rice is cooked add the courgette cream (reserving a couple o spoons to serve)and stir well.
- Once the rice is cooked turn off the heat, add 50 grams of butter and the Parmesan and mix very well. Cover with the lid and leave it to rest for a couple of minutes. Then mix it again and serve with the finely grated zest of a lemon, a little courgette cream and some basil leaves.