The carrot and courgette creamy soup is a super tasty dish. Quick and easy to prepare it’s perfect as a winter comfort food but also for a light summer lunch, served with a fresh salad or some sandwiches. This creamy soup is made without cream, so it’s super healthy too!
What makes the courgette and carrot soup so creamy is the potato. I always add some potatoes when a cook soups: they give texture and smoothness thanks to the starch contained that helps thicken the soup. This is a good way to have healthier and lighter soups without adding all the calories from the cream. Carrot soup is healthy not only because has no cream but because carrots are a perfect health food. They are high in vitamins and antioxidants, like the beta carotene that gives the bright colour to the carrots and it’s great for our skin. Carrots contain lots of fibre that are good for digestion and make you feel full longer on fewer calories. 100 grams of carrots contain only 41 Kcal so perfect for low calorie diets. The best ways to eat carrots are raw, as a snack or in salads, and steamed. When used for soups or other dishes (like stews or roasts) it’s better to not over cook them. So prefer short cooking times, like for this recipe, or add them at end.
Carrot and courgette creamy soup with curry and cumin
- carrots: 400 grams
- courgettes: 400 grams
- potatoes: 200 grams
- onion , finely chopped: 1
- vegetable stock hot (or water): 800/1000 grams
- cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- curry powder: 1 tsp
- extra virgin olive oil as needed
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Peel the carrots and the potatoes and cut them into small dices. Cut also the courgettes into small pieces.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan, add the chopped onion, curry and cumin then fry for 5 mins until soft.
- Add the diced carrots and potatoes. Stir fry on high heat for about 2 mins stirring often.
- Add the courgette pieces, stir well and season with salt.
- Add the hot stock (or water) to cover the vegetables, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 20 mins until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour into a food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy. Taste and add salt if necessary then serve warm with some ground pepper, a spoon of crème fraîche or yogurt and some chopped coriander.